18 July 2013

Chinoiserie Chic

 ***
 ***
 ***
 ***
 ***

I have loved Chinoiserie for as long as I can remember. My love of this decorative style goes back to my maternal grandmother. She collected Chinoiserie decor, mainly rather kitsch 1950s-60s items, which now hold a retro appeal, such as miniature glass-enclosed cork sculptural landscapes in black lacquer frames. I have collected three of them myself, because they remind me of her. From beautiful wallpaper patterns to birdcages to faux bamboo furniture to whimsical mirror frames, I love it all.


from my own collection (my own photo)
Rare Rococo automaton birdcage with chime and clock
 ***
 ***
 ***
 ***
 ***

Chinoiserie styles go much further back than my own nostalgic recollections. As Wikipedia tells us, "Chinoiserie, a French term, signifying 'Chinese-esque', refers to a recurring theme in European artistic styles since the seventeenth century, which reflect Chinese artistic influences." It was very popular in the 17th and 18th centuries in England and Europe, particularly during the Rococo era. A fancifully imagined Oriental world, full of romance and splendour, was created in decorative motifs, and was especially popular for ceramics and tea wares.

 ***
 ***
 ***
 ***
 ***
 ***
 ***

As you can see, Chinoiserie styles are still quite popular, and have become a classic design theme. I don't think Chinoiserie will ever go out of style. I certainly cannot imagine ever tiring of seeing such loveliness, that's for sure.

No comments: