26 February 2013

Carolina Dreamin'



















A sprawling Sixties house in Charlotte, North Carolina has been transformed into a fabulous contemporary family home. Striking a balance between kitsch and classic, the owners of this home have cleverly juxtaposed original features of the home with their own new and vintage furnishings, creating easy-to-live-in spaces full of personality.

The original double front doors with coloured glass inserts make quite a first impression. My favourite room in the house is the dining room, with its hand-painted de Gournay wallpaper and vintage Jean Prouve table and sideboard. I had seen this photo, quite some time ago, and it has always remained in my mind as an ideal dining room (yes, it is in my Dream House files!). I just love that light blue sideboard against the beautiful floral wallpaper. 

Another space which really draws my eye is the lounge. I love the bright white walls, simple modern fireplace, and cozy mix of colourful pieces--and, especially, that shimmering gold panel near the fireplace. It adds a glamorous touch of sparkle to the room.

What do you like most about this home? I would love to hear your thoughts.


{all images found at Living etc.}

No comments: