09 October 2012

A Dorothy Draper-Inspired Lunch














Last weekend, Glen and I hosted our first barbecue of the season, when I enjoyed introducing his family to American-style baked beans, made in my trusty slow cooker (I used a Martha Stewart recipe, which you can find here). I also made some potato salad and a batch of strawberry ice cream, for dessert. Glen grilled a bunch of burgers and sausages for us. We had a lovely evening.

Our get-together was not quite as fancy as this fabulous lunch inspired by the late great designer Dorothy Draper, hosted by Lauren McGrath, as featured in Lonny magazine. What a gorgeous, fun, and feminine soiree it was! Since pink and green is one of my favourite colour combinations, I just love the green leafy fabric used for cushions and the table runner, the pale pink peonies, and that gorgeous black-and-white striped tent, which are Draper classics. You can find these fabrics and more here. By the way, the Lonny spread includes a recipe for Berry Pavlova, which is a dessert I've been meaning to try making, since it is very popular here in Australia.

Maybe one day my hostess-with-the-mostest skills will reach such levels of fabulousness. Until then, I will keep working on a few favourite recipes,  attempt to weed the garden somewhat regularly, and perhaps add a dash of pizazz to the next gathering at our place, a la Ms Draper. There is a black-and-white striped fabric from Ikea, which I've been envisioning becoming a tablecloth in the near future. Hmmm.... Yes. I'll add that to my growing list of home improvement projects.

{Image sources: 1 - 5, 6, 7}

1 comment:

Laurie Eno said...

Ahhh, Draper-esque! I too love her work. Big, big fan of bold stripes.